The Midwest Dramatists Center is a collective designed to support playwrights on that difficult career stretch from “emerging” to “established,” and to amplify new voices in the American theatre. Residency is by application only, and its benefits are offered to selected playwrights at no cost for a five-year term. Membership has privileges, as well as responsibilities.
- Public readings—Giving the playwright the insight into his or her play that only comes with rehearsed presentation and audience feedback in a public forum
- Workshop/rehearsal space—Free access to MDC’s meeting areas and black-box theatre for private read-throughs and script meetings.
- Staff-supported structure and guidance—Regular meeting with the MDC artistic director to discuss the progress of your work and professional goals.
- Advocacy to theatres—Submission and recommendation of work to regional and national theatres and competitions on behalf of resident playwrights with the imprimatur of MDC.
Applications will be accepted by email only beginning January 15, 2015, and must be received by February 28, 2015.*
Applications must include the following materials:
- A completed application form.
- Two plays of any type, at least one of which must be a full-length play. Screenplays and plays for young audiences do not qualify—nor do adaptations or collaborations (except for musicals).
- A brief resume or biography (one or two pages) listing playwriting accomplishments and activities and any experience in related writing or theatrical fields.
- A letter of intent (one or two pages) describing what you hope to accomplish through MDC and how you will use your residency.
- A letter of recommendation from a theatre or literary professional (who is not currently affiliated with MDC), written specifically for this application.
*To be considered in MDC’s 2015 applicant pool, a completed application form and two scripts (including at least one full-length) must be received by the February 28 deadline. However, if necessary, supporting documents—a bio/resume, letter of intent, and letter of recommendation—may be submitted by email no later than Friday, March 13, for the application to be complete.
Download complete information and instructions here.
Download the 2015 application form here.